MacIssues.com

Mac hardware and software discussions
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:31 pm 

I tried restoring someone’s user Library but before finishing two windows popped up. One said “The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8062).”

When I clicked OK the next window said “The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.”

I checked her Library and about half of the folders were there.

Why did Time Machine give me those notices and what do I do about it?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm 

I can't speak about the error code but the issue of permissions may be addressed by repairing user permissions. This is not the same as a conventional permission repair with Disk Utility and DU doesn't do it.

In 10.7 and later, boot from the Recovery Partition. In 10.6 (my OS), boot from the Install DVD and go to the second screen. From the Utilities menu, choose Reset Password (I know, this doesn't make sense, but that's how you do it). You'll see the option to repair user permissions there (you won't be resetting the password).

OS 10.12.5, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:42 pm 

Thanks for the reply, jchuzi.

So, to practice your suggestion I tried it first on my Mavericks MacBook Pro (I had some permissions set in my account to include Read & Write for other accounts that I wanted removed anyway, so I thought I would try this to reset my permissions back to default). In Reset Password when I clicked Reset there was a spinning progress wheel for about a half a second. The Done button never became highlighted for me to be able to click, so I waited about an hour and Done was still not highlighted. So I quit Reset Password and rebooted to normal. I checked the folders and the permissions were not changed.

Do I need to wait longer than an hour, or does Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs not work for me for some reason?

Is there another method to reset permissions I should try?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:40 pm 

When I reset user permissions in 10.6, the process took about 5 minutes. I don't know why you had this issue. Perhaps someone else will be able to answer. :?:

OS 10.12.5, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Office 2008, Nikon LS 8000 scanner

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:16 pm 

mmm...I have another laptop with Mountain Lion installed so I gave it a try. Reset Home Folder Permissions and ACLs acted the same way as it did on the other laptop running Mavericks. It must be something I'm doing wrong. Both accounts are admin so it can't be that.

Yes, hopefully someone will know the answer to this.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:15 am 

If you know how to access Time Machine from the command line in the terminal you could enter the the command SUDO (super user do) before you enter the command. You will be asked for your admin password and you will be given the highest permission level.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:29 am 

Sorry, I don't know how to do that, and quite honestly, I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to do. How does that reset the home folder permissions?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:31 am 

I did some googling of this problem and low and behold found one of Topher’s article that is on this website. I read his articles every day but this one, dated April 11, 2014, must have slipped by me. Here it is;

http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/11/how ... s-in-os-x/

Before doing the terminal command he gives I tried the Reset Home Folder Permissions one more time on my Mountain Lion laptop in the standard account. It worked great this time. Don't know what I was doing wrong before. It still didn’t give me the Done button, though, but after the progress wheel went away I quit Reset Password and rebooted normally and checked the folders with those other account permissions and they were gone. Everything looked good.

So, I tried Reset Home Folder Permissions on my Mavericks laptop and it still was not working for me. So I booted normally and opened terminal and put in Topher’s command. Terminal wanted a password so I put in the account’s password (this was the account I was using and it is a standard account) and about 5 minutes later I got my prompt back.

Topher said to now run Reset Password but I checked my folder permissions first. The permissions that I had added were all gone now. From what I could tell the permissions were now back to default. I decided to run the Reset Permissions anyway since that's what Topher said to do and I figured that probably would ensure that everything was set to default. When I clicked Reset the spinning progress wheel still lasted about a half a second and I still didn’t get a Done button. So I quit Reset Password and booted normally. I'm still wondering if Reset Permissions is doing its thing.

I sure hope everything is correct. It just bothers me that I don’t get the Done button. Mmm...but I didn't get it either on the Mountain Lion laptop but the permissions were reset, so go figure.

Topher said that the "sudo chmod -RN ~/" command strips the ACLs from the account. I wonder why the permissions that I added were removed after I ran that command? They aren't ACLs.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:04 pm 

Thanks for posting the link to that article. I used the posted command, sudo chmod -RN ~/, got a message that this was an "invalid argument". Is there a different command for 10.6.8?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:22 pm 

I have access to a lab that has a Mac running Snow Leopard so I went there this morning and tried that command and got a different error message..."user name is not in the sudoers file...". The account I was in did not have admin privileges so I gave it privileges. Then I tried the command again, and it worked. I had changed permissions in a file to test it, and they were removed when I checked it after the command.

So I guess make sure you run this command in an admin account. I don't speak with authority on this, it's just what worked for me.

Good luck.